Financial Assistance for School-based Apprentices
The Living Away from Home Allowance (LAFHA) is an allowance for eligible apprentices during the first three years of training, including school-based apprentices.
You may be eligible to receive the allowance if you need to move away from your parental or legal guardian’s home for the first time to:
- start an Australian Apprenticeship
- remain in an Australian Apprenticeship
- receive essential supplementary on-the-job training with another employer.
You may also be eligible to receive the allowance if you are undertaking an Australian Apprenticeship and you are, or become, homeless.
You are NOT eligible if you:
- have lodged a claim for Youth Allowance, Austudy or ABSTUDY;
- receive rental or accommodation assistance from any source; or
- moved away from your parental or legal guardian’s home three months or more before starting your Australian Apprenticeship.
How do I apply?
You can apply by submitting a completed Application for LAFHA for Australian Apprentices form to your local Australian Apprenticeship Support Network (AASN) provider. Your AASN can provide you with the application form.
The AIOH is located in the heart of Adelaide’s CBD, which makes everything you need just a walking distance away. If you are a regional student visiting the AIOH trade school to complete your block of training hours, here are some resources to help you get around.
Use the free public transport tram system to travel to us.
The closest tram stop to us is the Tram University Stop on the BTANIC (Botanic to Entertainment Centre) tram route, which is an eight-minute walk away.
Places to Stay
122 Grenfell St, Adelaide SA 5000
Distance: 180m (4-minute walk)
The Franklin Hotel
92 Franklin St, Adelaide SA 5000
Distance: 1.2km (15-minute walk)
Grosvenor Hotel Adelaide
125 North Terrace, Adelaide SA 5000
Distance: 1.6km (19-minute walk)